Wednesday, March 16, 2011

#329 Fripp and Eno - Evening Star

For whatever reason, I then listened to this. I guess I wanted to listen to music during a brief minecraft relapse, and this was on hand.

This one is better than the last one, if nothing else because there's less guitar squallsing and squealing. But the actual tones and pulses and buzzes and forces are also just better designed and better executed. The sense of movement is better, and there are moments of real beauty tucked away here and there. Wind on Water, in particular, finds fuzzy spaces in between notes that push into place in satisfying, compelling ways. Even the side-long An Index of Metals is better than either song on No Pussyfooting, evolving slowly.

I don't like ambient much. This project has taught me that. A few great tracks on Selected Ambient Works, one great track on Music for Airports, and few other lucky hits have gotten me to try to give it a fair chance. But I don't have the patience for it most of the time, and I don't find it all that satisfying when I do bother to listen closely. This is one of the better ambient albums I've heard, a distinct improvement over their last project, but its still a big fish in a pond that's pretty far from my house, where I don't bother to drive very often 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment