Saturday, March 19, 2011

#330 Telekinesis - 12 Desperate Straight Lines

Dusted liked it, I liked the sample track.

Catchy, bouncy stuff, with vocals hopscotching back and forth between two agreeable notes, counterpoints on counterpoints, while the guitars follow suit. It's mostly one-idea-per-song territory, with two or three hooks tag teaming your ears and then jumping out the window, but at least it's briskly paced, with only 3 songs breaking the 3 minute mark. That's the right approach to this kind of music if you ask me - if you're going to do pop, don't make it more than it is, and most of the songs here are built around a good hook and a stone soup of crunchy guitars and clean beats.

These guys are like the opening band you've never heard of, who have you saying "these guys are actually pretty good!" during their set, but that you forget by the next morning. That sounds more backhanded than I mean it; most random bands I catch at shows don't even accomplish that. But this is the kind of music that you'll enjoy more if you don't expect too much from it.

Palm of Your Hand, Please Ask for Help and Country Lane are wrapped around great little pop moments, and even now I tap my foot, but (the latter excepted, maybe) I just don't see the melody lasting past the moment I turn the album off. I suspect the trajectory is that I'll hear about their follow-up in a year and a half and perk up, curious to see what they can do once they have their sea legs 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment