Friday, March 4, 2011

#312 MF Doom - Special Herbs vol. 1 & 2

Doom recently released a box set of 10 or so of these special herbs albums. I like (love) Doom. Let's start with a release's worth though.

Well, its instrumental versions of MF Doom songs. If you're heard MF Doom songs, subtract vocals, off you go. If not, what's wrong with you? Start with Vaudeville Villain.

Ok, ok. Well, as instrumental hip hop goes, its...ok. The loops are groovy, out of time, crusty, with soul to spare. They sound, at their best moments, like something of Endtroducing, sure. But on an overall flow level, there's little progression, not much arc, not a lot of room to transport you, move you, even. Each track finds its groove and doesn't deviate from it much.

I mostly finished this because it made for decent work music. I can't say I have any need to revisit it though (let alone hear the remaining 8 or so volumes); if I want instrumental hip hop, I have better choices, and if I want these particular loops, I'd rather hear them with Doom's exceptional flow over top. Enough groove for a generous 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment