Tuesday, March 8, 2011

#319 Toro Y Moi - Underneath the Pine

Pitckfork'd.

Man, this is so what pitchfork is into now. All very dense, lush, mega-reverbed production, quirky electronics, crooning harmonized vocals. All very Ariel Pink. For the most part it doesn't move me, but some of the simpler melodic lines (How I Know and instrumental, album highlight Divina) are actually really pretty. The problem is, I think the rest of that album thinks it's that pretty, and it just isn't.

It's all too mushy for me, too wrapped up in layers of ambient fuzz and reverb and doubling, nothing distinct, meticulously flecked with buzzy synths and glitchy flickers.

I need more clarity of vision. Have the confidence to just put a song out there without hiding behind making every note sound like every note at once 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment