Thursday, September 30, 2010

#188 No Age - Everything in Between

Reviewed at Pitchfork, Dusted, Allmusic, everywhere. I've liked these guys' previous stuff pretty good (Nouns was my 7th favorite album of 2008!).

Deerhunter and No Age occupy a similar space in my mind, (similar noisy, textured sound, similar levels of hype, peaking around the same time a few years ago) so its a cute trick that their latest albums both came out around the same time.

This one doesn't really turn me on as much as Halcyon Digest though. I've always liked No Age's faster, hookier stuff, and here it sort of has the edges melted off. The album as a whole seems like a more conscious effort to be arty, lo-fi, texture oriented, sonic youth via pavement, etc, etc, etc, and its just not much fun. Its sludgy, seemingly consciously produced to be slightly off for its own sake. The main exception is Common Heat, which is great, propulsive mixtape fodder, but as of now this seems like a miss for me, and I'd be hard pressed to put it on before nouns next time I'm in the market for this kind of thing 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment