Thursday, September 30, 2010

#187 Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

Reviewed at Pitchfork, Dusted, Allmusic, everywhere. I've liked these guys' previous stuff pretty good (Nothing Ever Happened was my favorite song of 2008!) but usually more on a track level than an album level.

This is a hazy, complex, pretty, nostalgic album, befitting its title, evoking Olivia Tremor Control, Swervedriver and Brian Eno (check that Needles in the Camel's Eye guitar line in Desire Lines!) at turns. Its much more cohesive as an album, track bleeding into eachother, reverb-drenched notes bleeding into eachother, moment into memory. Its an enjoyable listen, if not mindblowing, but I find myself gravitating back to its fuzzy intricacies. Maybe it will be the first of theirs to really grab me on the whole 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment