Saturday, September 4, 2010

#166 The Budos Band - III

I'd randomly read about these guys a couple years ago in some travel magazine or something - they sounded interesting enough, so I checked out their last one, and dug it. This one got good buzz.

This is another case where I would have like this better if it was the first album of theirs I'd heard. The basic structure it there: a Meters-ey funk bass groove, a brassy horn groove over top of it, some funky drums, and not a whole lot of variation in a given song. It's music what whips its core riff around like a ribbon and lets you catch it from different angles, but it doesn't take many surprising turns when it comes to dynamics, song structure or mood. The result is energetic and fun, but consistent to a fault.

Compared to their last album, the band has a more well-defined sound, thanks primarily to some buzzy keyboard bits, and I think this is probably their best album to start with if you haven't heard them. For me, its enjoyable, but I'm consistently hard to please when it comes to more-of-the-same albums 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment