Thursday, September 9, 2010

#172 Autolux - Transit Transit

Caught Audience #2 on KCRW, heard it was Autolux, and remembered Dave liked them, so I figured I'd look into their new album.

I like bits of this, there's some experimental stuff, some nice space, some interesting textures. But I couldn't really get into it somehow, it all seemed by-the-numbers experimental, if that's even possible. It sounds like radiohead here, sonic youth there, silversun pickups here, my bloody valentine lots of places. Everything's a bit too downtempo for me, just not enough energy, the fine production not attached to enough actual song. The one exception is actually the aforementioned Audience #2, which wields broken beats and bottomless purple drones to create a great, lurching 90'sstyle rocker. I feel like I'd like this better on a second listen, but I don't know if it's going to get one. Maybe I'm being too harsh on this for not living up to its influences - it certainly was more interesting than a lot of music I've heard, but it just didn't move me 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment