Thursday, September 9, 2010

#171 Prefuse 73 - Vocal Studies & Uprock Narratives

Its insane I've never heard this, given how much I like One Word Extinguisher. This came out first, and for some reason I never went back for it.

The chopped vocals on OWE are some of my favorite bits, and there's a lot more of that here. He lays down a beat or two, adds some samples, chops them up a bit, and the throws rhymically diced vocal fragments all over the top of it all. The result is spastic and erratic, but its all done within the beat, and it all flows well on the album and track scales. Its curiously exciting, as it ebbs and flows, swooping in with IDM-level beatfiuckery, before retreating into some downright smooth grooves, never letting you get too bored, nor too comfortable. Totally dig it.

I think it probably lacks some of the polish and timeless cohesion that set One Word Extinguisher apart, but it will surely get more plays, and I'll bet it'll grow on me as I get to know it 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment