Tuesday, March 30, 2010

#015 Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

Boning up on punk, which lead me to this album. I never got much into ska; Orange County was the nexus of punk/3rd wave ska and it was blindingly trendy at LBHS in the 90s. I wonder if I can evaluate this or similar albums on their merits?

In any case, pretty catchy stuff, real high energy (orly?), but with some surprisingly interesting plays with tempo and structure, lots and lots of fun, bizarre left turns. Bass parts are breakneck fun, and the vocals are often incomprehensible, but easy enough to tune out when you need to. The unabashedly metal guitars (A Better Place, A Better Time, most notably) may or may not be tongue in cheek, but are sort of awesome, and were the turning point for winning me over somehow. I'll need more time to mull my changing of opinion about an entire genre, but I can't imagine I won't come back to this some day 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment