Thursday, March 25, 2010

#007 Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped

Following my discovery that Sonic Youth makes good programming music, I decided to continue my exploration of their (extensive!) discography with a recent, well-regarded offering.

I sort of like the repetition, just intricate enough to be catchy, Incenerate is more enjoyable than I had reason to expect it to be, even though it does sound like a dozen other sonic youth songs to me. Conversely, Do You Believe in Rapture is really something different, a strangely gorgeous piece of incredibly intricate guitar music. The drums are catchy on this album in a way I don't normally associate with Sonic Youth.

Runs a bit long for my taste though, sort of runs out of steam, but a good one to have around. Resisting urge to go on long rant about how I lump albums by the same band - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment