Tuesday, March 30, 2010

#014 Big Star - Radio City

The 2nd Big Star album, fueled by encouraging exposure to the first one.

I don't know quite what to make of this, it sounds like it was from every time, from 70's glam to 80's hair metal to 90's indie, which is pretty incredible given that it came out in '74. Apparently this album was produced without major contributor Chris Bell, and it might even be better for it, certainly a lot more quirky and a lot less Led Zeppeliney. A bit schmaltzy at times, but I suspect once I get my head around it, I might like this album a lot (I'm already listening to it again now) so I'll give it a generous 4.5/5

Update: on 2nd listen, I'd dock it a bit for the really very schmaltzy bits, but still, listen to Mod Lang and September Gurls and tell me you'd have guessed they came out in 1974.

No comments:

Post a Comment