Monday, March 29, 2010

#011 Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Another Pitchfork pickup. There is a trend among Pitchfork editors, and therefor the indie world, for thin trembly voices over atmospheric music (Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, the utterly unbearable Antony and the Johnsons, and I guess Sigur Ros for that matter) that I have no patience for. I find it annoying, affected, forced. I do like the atmospherics of some of these songs, but its that same atonal, half-step-off harmony thing that The Morning Benders and other recent bands do that I just can't get into. I get a sense of normal, good songs at the core, but that have been weirded up on purpose, as if somebody said "that's good, but its a little too enjoyable, sing it a little more atonally and ship it". I doubt that's what happened, but the experience of listening to this album nonetheless inspires this scenario and curses its villains.

I think there are probably 3 or 4 really good, enduring songs on here (While You Wait for the Others is a strong candidate), I may or may not go back in to recover them 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment