Monday, August 23, 2010

#156 Seu Jorge and Almaz - Seu Jorge and Almaz

Reviewed on Dusted. I've been hitting the dissertation writing really hard lately, which just doesn't leave a lot of time for listening to music, so I'm finally slipping from my one-a-day pace. Will keep updating as I can.

The main draw here is Jorge's voice, which is deep, resonant and powerful. The actual music is tropicalia-tinged, but sounds more broadly like 60's rock; more like American psychadelic music from the era than the writhing, horn-laden stuff from Brazil. Most songs are build around a single driving hook, and proceed persistently, its methodical and cool. It almost reminds me of the Velvet Underground, though you won't hear anything that sounds overtly like them here.

Its a pleasant listen, good background music at the right party, but ultimately its pretty unspectacular 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment