Tuesday, August 3, 2010

#141 Nostalgia 77 - Everything Under the Sun

Indirectly recommended by Nicole via facebook.

A quick spot of research reveals that people are comparing this to a whole variety of musical styles and genres, but I don't see any need to complicate things all that much. To me it sounds like jazz, like The Budos Band or Soul Coughing would sound if they made a jazz album. I can't tell if that makes my point or undermines it. Maybe its just a rock album with horn solos and jazz instrumentation.

Regardless. The main draw here, for me, is the bass sound. That meaty, driving upright bass sound that singlehandedly makes me namedrop Soul Coughing. The singing mostly doesn't move me, though the herky-jerky lyrics on Stop to Make a Change are sort of awesome. The horns don't move me because, well, for the most part, horns don't tend to move me unless they're used in the Rock Way. Its really that bass that keeps me interested at all. That and I really like the Bromst-esque piano runs on the title track.

I think to really love this album you need to get sucked in by the singer, and I'm just not. In absence of that, I don't see this being a repeat listen for me, though Wildflower, Everything Under the Sun and Aurora intrigue me enough for 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment