Monday, August 9, 2010

#148 Soulwax - Nite Versions

Might have heard about this on the same boards that mentioned the recent hip hop albums, but that seems unlikely. I'm not sure where this came from.

I kind of like this, but I kind of think its crap. Its all maximalist techno, with big, big buzzy synth loops, crisp, simple beats and the occasional rhythmically shouted declaration of purpose. It sounds like a trashier, less focused Justice, but with more of a party flavor, more of a Girl-Talkian shamelessness in attacking your pleasure centers. Does it work? Sometimes. Its at its best when it breaks the synths open rather than just letting them loop, highlights include the overloaded rising buzz of Miserable Girl and the DFA cracks in I Love Techno. I'm also a sucker for the reference-listing of Teachers (in the spirit of Losing my Edge and Fumbling Over Words that Rhyme, just need 7 or so more and I can make a whole mix that's nothing but the names of bands).

Too many songs are just too straightforward though, and the vocal samples are so cheesy as to almost be parody. I'm a bit torn. But my gut is that while I like moments of this, I don't love it better than 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment