Wednesday, May 27, 2015

#1758 Public Service Broadcasting - The Race for Space

An atmospheric, soundtracky, often-ambient electronic album that draws inspiration from all stages of the space race. Extended samples of speeches, news reports, control tower communications, and human silence tell the tale, backdropped by spare beats, ambient washes, and pure evocation of space and endeavor itself.

This was a Robin rec and he described it as "fun". I said, ah fuckit, this:

I don't know that fun is the word I would use (other than for go! which is a delight), I find it kind of strangely sad and scary. I mean kind of fun, in the way is uses the materials, but I find outer space so daunting, and I to me this drips with the awe and terror inherent to making these leaps into places we were, let's face it, from an evolutionary standpoint never meant to go.
...
Weirdly the only song I didn't really like was Gagarin, which I feel like is the most accessible - when you're going rock and roll all that precision and polish kinda works against you, I found it very made by human hands, while the rest feels recorded by alien anthropologists, smeared with the colour of space itself.


I think that sums it up about right. Compelling, truly evocative stuff that I'm appreciating even more throughout the day as it sinks in and swirls around 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment