Wednesday, May 6, 2015

#1730 Martin Denny - Hypnotique

Every bullet that Ritual of the Savage dodged must have flown past and lodged itself in Hypnotique instead. Ritual used its south // east touches to make something cool, this just doubles down and makes something kinda hokey and gross, it's the difference between wearing pendant from China and using your fingers to make your eyes slanty.

Maybe I'm overreacting, maybe I'm blaming the originator for associations I make to things that came 50+ years later, but I found none of the loungy grace of Ritual here, this is an album that literally uses that CHINGA, CHINGA, CHING-CHING: CHING! CHING! CHING! CHING! Chinese cliche.

You know the one I'm talking about.

Maybe he invented it, but it sounds fucking ridiculous in 2015. And then he does the blues with a flute and eastern malletwork. No, fuck that, benefit of the doubt lost. Hacky bullshit 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment