Monday, May 4, 2015

#1721 Les Baxter - Ritual of the Savage

Album's kinda goddamned cool.

Can I say that? Seems wrong.

Word is, this spawned "exotica" circa 1951, and it's full of Asian (?), Polynesian (?), South American (?) sounds, all washed in strings and orchestral sensibilities.

Can you call and album called, fucking: Ritual of the Savage, with fucking tikis on the cover, cool?

Dammit, it is, it's exciting and adventurous, in structure and melody and instrumentation, all soundtracking to trip to hither and tither. Maybe it's kitsch, maybe its exploitative. I gotta say, when I listen though, I am transported, and I feel like I am on a fantastic journey fraught with mystery, through time, and then space, and fuckit if I do enjoy that very much.

Essential listening, one way or another

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment