Wednesday, April 23, 2014

#1234 Thee Oh Sees - Drop

It's an Oh Sees album alright - that endless chug, the looping, loping bass, those squalls of guitar noise, those cooing falsettos, now with more little touches of organ and horn, now with less of the meandering nothing experiments. This is distilled Thee Oh Sees, getting that muscular Krautey, Velvetey-via-Liarsey sweet rotting flesh noisome stomp good and toned for Summer, its their most consistent album yet: their first that's completely listenable front to back, with nothing as thrilling as The Dream or I Come From the Mountain (though Penetrating Eye's growing on me). That consistency will probably get this more plays on my player than many of their better albums, but I still find myself wishing there was a little more excitement to be found 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment