Saturday, April 19, 2014

#1229 Prince - Purple Rain

Hahahah. Wow, I thought I was done with the era of "how have I not heard this before" embarrassment, like I'd heard all the biggies by now. But watching a (FUCKING INCREDIBLE) video* of Prince first performing the title track in a weird live-to-canonical-album-version move made me go "have I really not heard this shit??"

Wow.

Amazing.

Title track is beyond words.

Everything else is also killer, impossibly well put together. Sexy, vulnerable, angular, brilliant, everything I liked about My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, say, but better. The electronics, the guitar solos, the singing, the pacing, the sexiness, the vulnerability, so much of them both I mention them twice, it's sweeping and bracing and stunning. One of the best albums I've heard in ages, I can't believe it took me this long to come across it. It's a crime. If you're future-complicit in the same via not having heard this, plea up, get out, listen now, repent, weep, repent, and love. Great, legendary, peerless shit. Great great great 5/5

* here for now, though they're pretty aggressive about taking this down these days

No comments:

Post a Comment