Thursday, February 21, 2013

#766 Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

Was Iron Maiden actually considered threatening? Scary? Dark? I was 2 years old when this came out, can someone who was there tell me? I mean, there's the trappings of metal edginess, the sacrilegious album title, the Zombie Eddie on the cover, the songs about Children of the Damned, and prostitution and genocide, but today it all reads pretty tame. It's nowhere near as intense (nor as technically proficient) as something like slayer, nor as soaring (nor as technically proficient) as Rush, nor as rollicking (nor as technically proficient) as Guns n' Roses years later.

This album's strength, despite its morbid trappings, is that it's actually kind of fun. It gallops along, fast and slow, melodically compelling without ever really impressing, reveling in itself without seemingly taking itself all that seriously.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe these guys saw themselves as real hardcore motherfuckers. But I get the sense, like most metal dudes I know, that they're actually pretty self-aware, sharp, fun-loving guys who like rock and roll and not giving a fuck. I'm on board with that 3.5/5

(this is review #766! soclose)

No comments:

Post a Comment