Tuesday, February 5, 2013

#739 The Alllman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East

Hope you like jams!

These go on and on, but for once I don't mind. For my money, compared to, say, The Grateful Dead (who, I admit, I take a lot of cheap shots at) the AB band has a great sense of pacing and showmanship. While bordering on overslick, this is downright listenable, with enough twists and turns to keep it interesting while an album-scale arc builds steadily from porchy blues to grander and grander temples of rock energy. There's some showy run in the solos, sure, but mostly they'e are in service of a larger feel, one that swells satisfyingly again and again.

And when its over you're left saying man, I'll bet that was a heck of a show to be at. And when it comes to a live album, isn't that kind of what matters? 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment