Monday, February 11, 2013

#747 Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day

Vashti, you have a perfectly good voice. You're actually pretty restrained in your use of it as warbly folky folks go. And the songs have a quiet smallness to them that I appreciate. But music that is focused squarely on female singers, especially with folky trappings is just not in my wheelhouse, and when you start lilting along to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star melodies its pretty much HBP.

It's worth hearing for the moments of beauty, the first notes of Where I Like to Stand are crushingly gorgeous in a way that will hitch your breath. And this is a sound small and sad and quirky, echoing out to the likes of Elliot Smith. But to my ear, when Vashti croons higher and higher still on the very next song, I actually clench my jaw, and its everything I can do not to put something else, anything else, on 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment