Wednesday, April 27, 2011

#350 Fu-Shnickens - F.U. Don't Take it Personal

Still getting caught up - the very last bookmark in my allmusic guide, played on miles 76-127, through LA and on into the grapevine.

The easiest reference point is that there guys were the black Beastie Boys, coming out around the same time, with a similar shouty, all-3-on-the-end delivery and a similar, broad since of humor. Even the production has a similar feel. Listen to Check it Out and tell me that couldn't have been a Beasties song on paper.

Fact is, I don't much like the sound. The rapping's impressive in places, from the trippleup-slowdown one-two punches, to the one-after-another breathless bursts. On paper, it's pretty good. These guys have skill, the result just isn't very listenable in practice: too annoying, to repetitive in the production, for me to like it nearly as much as I appreciate it 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment