Thursday, April 21, 2011

#348 Al Green - I'm Still in Love with You

Getting caught up on some stuff I listened to on my OC-Palo Alto drive on the 12th (miles 0-33 on the 5). I've been out of town, way behind. This was one of the very last AMG rated albums to hear, part of the soul kick.

This is really a nice one. His voice is a crawling drawl, dragged over ragged bumps, coming at Macy Gray's androgynous purr from the other direction. The songs have a deep soul groove, with some awesome basslines, and only minimal orchestral nonsense. The overall feel is closest to the best Sly and the Family Stone moments, with the melody lurking in and out and around the dark crannies of the song, light glinting off of eyes slyly, with the occaisional knife flash of a James Brown shriek.

Also, its totally listenable - I liked it a lot on the drive, and I'm totally lost in the relisten. The Pretty Woman cover and For the Good Times kill the flow quite a bit, but this is good enough for the high end of 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment