Monday, April 11, 2011

#347 Dio - Holy Diver

Backing out of the path that got me listening to Sabbath to Dio: the D likes him, and heck, the Venture Brothers named a christian maritime superhero after this album (seriously). Worth a shot?

I have a pretty well-established dislike for AC/DC. The sentiment is preposterous, the naughty schoolboy look is ridiculous, the singing is unlistenable. I don't get how anyone likes AC/DC. I mention it because if you walk the line from Sabbath's version of metal to AC/DC's version of metal, you'll find this album somewhere along the way. Compared to early Sabbath, the singing is a lot shriekier, the lyrics are designed for arena-shoutalongs, the menace a lot less convincing. I think it kind of sucks.

The guitars are actually pretty sweet at times, the start-stop structures are convincing, and occasionally the whole thing just comes together. But any enjoyment required an end-around around my initial distaste. Maybe at the time this wasn't cliched, but it is now. I blame AC/DC. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment