Sunday, February 13, 2011

#294 The Vaselines - Sex with an X

Another one Adam liked. This is how desperate I am for recommendations, you post one comment on here and I'll listen to everything you ever liked. I seem to remember liking one of their previous ones OK, but then again, it would seem I don't remember it so good.

I wish that I could get away from comparing this to Yo La Tengo, but I can't. Man/woman, vaguely noisy, bouncy pop. This is poppier by far, goofier, looser, but the sound is not dissimilar. More generally, its kind of repetitive, 90's indie kind of stuff, but strangely compelling, winning me over as it went on. There's a good, simple bounce to it, evoking what I want to say is Rockabilly, but that's not a term I don't feel wholly qualified to use correctly just yet. Should fix that.

In the meantime, yes I liked it more than I expected to, but its also not really my scene - not quite exciting enough, not quite novel enough, not quite new new new new enough for better than 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment