Tuesday, February 1, 2011

#284 Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

AMG'd!

Its moments like this that I love this project - I would have so much less perspective on this album if I hadn't heard the Fairport Convention album. Richard was in FC, so this album's similarity isn't surprising, but the British folk rock model is just generally such a useful frame for this album, and I appreciate it more than I would have if I had come across it out of the blue.

And it works forward too, this sound surely inspired bands like Songs: Ohia (see The Calvary Cross) and The Decemberists (see The Great Valerio), and Okkervil River (see Withered and Died): there is a languid, stretching, wondering, mournful sound here that permeates a lot of the soulful, acoustic indie rock of the last 10 years. I mostly like it: it's peaceful, pretty, with spikes of energy and just enough twists and angles. The title track even has whiffs of arty new wave, though I suspect I'm hearing associations that aren't actually hearable.

I don't love her voice, and some of the folkier, more-narrative songs drag for me, and I generally don't think this kind of music (my affection for Okkervil River and Songs: Ohia notwithstanding). But I can see the appeal. I'll probably check out their other well-liked one, Shoot Out the Lights, at some point. For now 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment