Friday, February 4, 2011

#291 Cage the Elephant - Thank You Happy Birthday

My brother said he was digging this one, so I did what I always do in that case. Always.

Wow, that first track is really something. Its so overtly technoed out and buzzed out that it makes me nervous. A little bit too Nine Inch Nails. I kind of think that song might be terrible, now that I've listened to it a couple times, even though I kind of like it.

The rest of the album is kind of similar; it's trying to do a lot of things, and I think its trying a little too hard to do a lot of them, even though some of them are things I like. It sounds like late Modest Mouse here and there (Aberdeen), late Okkervil River in some places (2024), late Green Day in others (Right Before Your Eyes). In short, like a lot of bands that used to be legit, but that have tried to stay relevant, and in doing so have come across as a little unnatural.

Also, a prize to the first person who tells me what song Rubber Ball sounds exactly like. It sounds so much like another song I know that I thought it was a cover, but I can't figure out which one.

Also, the indie kid hating in (cringe) Indie Kidz falls utterly flat for me, its all been said a thousand times before. See also the electronic commands on Sell Yourself.

If I could get my head out of my ass, I would like these songs. They're exciting, I'll bet they're big fun live (where the band has a real reputation), and the combination of electronic flourishes, shouts, stompy anthems and ragged bass remind me favorably of Tokyo Police Club (Shake me Down in particular). There's a great variety on the album, lots of changes in tempo, lots of buzzy guitars, lots of pretty bits, complex bits, simple bits, all paced pretty well. I always mean this a little backhandedly, but not as backhandedly as it sounds: I would have loved this album when I was 23. I just seem to be a little too jaded for it now. Some drunken night, this will probably spend an hour as my favorite album ever. In the meantime? I kind of love and hate it.

I think one thing that gives this album a little boost is the fact that I don't think these guys are doing these things because they think they'll sell, I think they actually think this is the best way to rock. That goes a long way, and is at least good enough to give them the benefit of the doubt up to 3/5

Edit: In the days since, I have to confess, some of these songs have totally been in my head. The perils of the first-impression review.

No comments:

Post a Comment