Friday, April 24, 2020

#3804 Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness

4/5 I don't know that I like this. Maybe it's because it fits the times just a little too well (more on that when we get to Dan Mangan). But it's so patient, so unique, with just enough atmosphere and gorgeous slow-motion hooks, and earnest despair, I can't help but really recommend it as something you hear once (maybe save it for wave 2 or  3 of quarantine?). The kind of thing I want to remind myself to come back to again once a year or so.

All the smallness and zero-stakes earnestness of bedroom rock, but at such epic scale, songs stretching to strange lengths, buried in ancient distortion. I can't help but call it really _brave. You hear two guys making songs that are just the fucking songs they want to make, and they're shamelessly huge, without sounding like they have any pretension or aspiration at all, like they just had something they had to get out, and heck if that's not exciting to hear

No comments:

Post a Comment