Tuesday, February 14, 2017

#2413 Fudge - Lady Parts

When I first heard about fantasy football, I assumed it would be this cool simulation of the players, their interactions, passes and catches and all that. When I found out it was like, X points for Y achievement, add em all up independently, see who has the most, I was super disappointed. It seemed like a missed opportunity.

When I first started listening to hip hop, maybe 8 or so years ago, I remember being disappointed. Coming at it from a rock background, I felt like there was all this potential for pathos and melody, but it was all so skeletal, so much of the mainstream stuff was so superficial. It was naive, in a lot of ways, but I spin through this all to say -- in a lot of ways -- this is the album I wanted hip hop to be.

It's loose, clever, endearing, hooksome, warm, strange, intriguing, effortless, enjoyable. Prefuse is a natural fit for (local Bostonite) Michael Christmas, with their organic, languid, loping styles interlocking and offsetting alternately in soft focus. The feel's druggy, in a pastel pleasant way. Christmas brings a Chance-like wild-eyed optimism, and it floats over pillowey, melodic backing. Prefuse is back in form here, showing all those detuned samplefuckers how to do it right, how to actually keep the sound intact, so that it's actually fucking nice to listen to.

It's packed with flow, with strange angles eased into easily, a breezy minor masterpiece, everything I could hope for 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment