Tuesday, February 14, 2017

#2410 Beat Happening - You Turn Me On

I wasn't all that moved by Jamboree, Beat Happening's masterpiece, finding it a little listless, a little hookless, too dominated by Calvin Johnson's cavernous voice. But on revisiting it, I was struck by how familiar the songs felt, how readily they've woven themselves into my fabrics. It's grown on me.

--

So here we are again. At risk of falling into the same trap: I'm unmoved again. The songs are so repetitive, so muddy, so unhurried; I kept getting that feeling that I'd accidentally set the song to loop and had been listening to it for 20 minutes. But no, it's just minute 3 of a go-nowhere song. This might have been pretty clever in '92, but it hasn't held up well, with countless others finding ways to sound equally disinterested without being so damned boring about it 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment