Friday, October 21, 2016

#2206 Daft Punk - Tron Legacy OST

This is a soundtrack by Daft Punk -- soundtrack first, Daft Punk second. Taken on those terms, it's totally successful.

There's the ominous pulse of strings, of traditional soundtrack washes ::: pounding empire, washes of the unknown, pregnant tension --- field of black.

And across that you get those gleams, those slashes of beyond-neon, those lightcycle streaks of electronic fizzle, those moments where the spark leaps and cracks the logic.

--

I haven't seen the movie (:/)

But, with the song titles and a little knowledge of the original -- I feel like I have.

--

It's not a great standalone album, no Fight Club or Social Network as electronic soundtracks go, leaning too hard on the same generic falling strings-to-10 progressions. But for the most part it's tense, exciting, and subconsciously evocative of the themes (I assume??) it's backing: a win in my book 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment