Friday, July 29, 2016

#2110 Feed Me - Feed Me's Family Reunion

Has the world changed, or have I changed?

I went back to Feed Me's Big Adventure, and it's still incredible. Why can't he find it again?

Maybe there was just a punk rock first-swing energy. I think Jon Gooch's just got too much integrity.

He keeps trying something new. He won't just settle into that big 4/4, won't embrace those big dumb riffs, everything's got all these vocal samples and missing beats and subtle pulses and swirls and variants on dubstep builts and it's just - - - not as good.

I want to appreciate all this invention, but he's stuck in a valley: this isn't dumb enough to tap that raw animal nerve, not interesting enough to pass as inventive // chin scratchy // compositional electectonicia nonslelnse, and I can't find any reason to put it on.

For my tiny corner of the world, he's cursed by putting out the single best GET SHIT DONE record I've ever heard, and his way better stuff just doesn't move me and I can't listen to anything of his without comparing it. That probably makes me a bad writer and a bad person but I can't get past it 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment