Friday, July 8, 2016

#2087 DJ Shadow - The Outsider

What a mess.

It's not a _bad_ album exactly, but . . such a mess. It's fine that it's not Endtroducing. Really. But every time it finds an identity it undercuts it -- head to toe goth with a trucker cap, Coors light can, and a peace sign button.

For a while it's like DJ Shadow's party mix: soul flows into hip hop into bluesey meandering. That's cool. I was kinda getting into that.

But then there's a Jason Forrest-ready
plunderphonics
hillbilly
speed
metal
nightmare

And it tries to get back to hip hop,
but it spends 13 minutes in meandering crooning Lemon Jelly pop.

then back to hip hop.

When the fuck am I supposed to listen to this? Was this all just a middle finger?

No atmosphere, no flow, and even the actual songs are no great shakes, nothing I couldn't get better off an album dedicated to the craft.

Fuck it, I admit it, I admire its audacious idiocy - but it doesn't even really commit to the fuck you, undercutting album-wide convention-fucking by sounding, track-by-track, like its looking for any crack into a radio playlist. It's like a boyfriend that showers you with gifts,but none of 'em are really all that thoughtful.

Dammit, I just can't bring myself to really bury it. I have to admit, for all the messiness, I'd take sample-paella like this over a single-sound slab every time 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment