Wednesday, January 20, 2016

#2008 Beach Fossils - Clash the Truth

You'd think I'd love this, with all those post-surfy guitars, that big fat picked bass, those chiming atmospherics - whiffs of Surfer Blood, Tokyo Police Club, and the better end of Deerhunter.

I mean, Astro Coast was my favorite album of 2010, and these guys pull off a lot of the same tricks.

But I don't love it. I like it? But there's something
too arch
too Brooklyn
too calculated
too performed
some lack of danger in that clockwork New York motorik
something that keeps me from falling in love

I'm left looking for those unique moments, those kicky hitches, those perfect turns of phrase that make those other bands soar. Something lost in the translation, some failure to connect.

Good, frustratingly short of great 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment