Friday, September 25, 2015

#1877 Port O'Brien - All We Could Do Was Sing

I'm working on a theory of eras of rock music as stages of grief when it comes to your own death, with the late 90's -- 00's as the stage when we started to really look the truth in the face.

This album's not about death exactly, but it has that big shoutalong community thing going, that big railing against the world, that lone man falling over backwards into questions and disintegration, that smallness, that helplessness-together. All Modest Mouse croaking, all Microphones wonder, that Arcade Fire+Wilco+Mumford busy-ness, all prickling and twinkling and cold.

It sounds like something I'd like, but it doesn't quite click for me, my skin too thick, heart too jaded, ears that heard it all before. That I'd found this in 2008 it might have been a different story 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment