Monday, September 14, 2015

#1853 Prefuse 73 - Every Color of Darkness

I stopped hoping for anything anywhere near the legendary One Word Extinguisher out of Prefuse a long time ago. Shit's been weak as hell since then.

But this has got a flash of that old magic: grooves pulse with power, frail details flicker in the maelstrom, a shotgun barrel of mirrored puzzle pieces that you interpret mid-flight. It's still a bit muddy, lacking that signature flow on the track and album scale, but it's an incremental nudge on his signature style that brings a glimmer of the new, while being solid to listen to. More than we could've hoped for at this point 3.5/5

2 comments:

  1. Good pointer. I kept trying all the way to "Ampexian" (2009), but nothing clicked, so I gave up after that.

    I haven't listened to "Every Color" yet, but I'll try to today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Definitely at least a partial return to form. In fact, the whole trilogy of 2015 EPs I find to be quite listenable. Thanks for the pointer!

    ReplyDelete