Tuesday, April 28, 2015

#1714 Blur - The Magic Whip

I want to like this. When Blur's good, they're magnificently good. And this has better pulse than the scattered, sloppy Think Tank. But it's goddamn boring, never lighting up, never really laying out a memorable melody or infectious rhythm*. It reminds me too much of Albarn's similarly tepid Everyday Robots.

It works best as a kind of musical Lost in Translation, an atmospheric spell of loneliness, quiet uncanniness, and insidious alienation. I do enjoy albums with their own little world built - I could see it soundtracking a day spent staring out a hotel window with much majesty. But mostly it's a shell of Blur, worn out by a life without weekends 3/5

* alright, Go Out's got that some good buzzy guitarwork and an insistent Spoon-y pulse. I do dig that.

No comments:

Post a Comment