Wednesday, April 15, 2015

#1699 King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - I’m In Your Mind Fuzz

Space-prog facemelters Hawkwind get mentioned a lot by my heroes: those guitarfuckers at the vanguard of the 2010's garage rock onslaught. You hear it here and there: Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall work in their psychedelic angles and truck in the kinds of huge riffs that power intergalactic battlecruisers. But where's the epic scope? The Dyson sphere worldweaving? The going biiiig?
Rightfuckingheredude. It's tough to compete with Slaughterhouse for pure raging riffage, but if you're looking for something that turns those guitars inward and outward and through into a self-referential, deeply trippy, wildly exciting, this is about the best album, like ever.

The previous 3 KGATWL albums kept getting weirder and weirder, waysiding guitars all along the way. Now it all whipcracks back into place, taking that endless space / inevitable deathcrash of Head On / Pill to its next level, taking every great thing they'd left behind and screaming it into place.

The opening salvo's twisty naming's just about perfect, all those interlocking parts in the short and long term, and Am I in Heaven? makes me say, I don't know dude, but I am. Screaming crescendos of rock power all day long. I just wish for one more salvo at the end: those last 3 songs lay me down to sleep it off when I want to keep on raging. Still, must-hear for anyone with any interest in modern prog/psychedelia 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment