Monday, March 16, 2015

#1632 Daedelus - The Light Brigade

Returning to the loose time-and-place theming of Righteous Fists of Harmony, this revolves around the Charge of the Light Brigade. I guess? I mean, the album title, the song titles, the quoting of the poem by the same name, it's there on paper. But as with RFoH, it's a poem read in soft focus: if you took those things away I don't know that this mostly-instrumental album would tip you off overmuch.

It is interesting the way this plays with the Daedelus loops-and-loops formula: the beats are minimal, and many of the samples are piano chords and dusty acoustic arpeggios and pluckarounds, making this earthy and traditional in actual sound, but electronic and otherwise Daedelian in structure.

But at the end of the day, and look I'm a fan of the man, it doesn't /work/ No emotion's strongly conjured, no real sense of place or pain find its way into the listener's headspace. Either Darlington's lost his touch and thinks he's conveying something he's not, or he's just been lazy and slapped a theme on some underwhelming approach-nudging tracks. I don't know which would bum me out more 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment