Monday, October 20, 2014

#1457 Sore Eros and Kurt Vile - Jamaica Plain

Neither artist's from Boston that I know of, but the title track's named after / was recorded in my hood! LocalMusicBoston is go.

That title track. It's a beautiful little piece of something, packed with atmosphere and tiny details, winding around through little samples and snippets and drones and buzzes and clatters, all adrift in that big slide guitar, that wistful plucking backdrop. I listen to it when I walk home in the dark of the growing fall and I am crushed to dust by the pinpricks of beauty in what I'm hearing and seeing and feeling, cold starlight on distant skin. It it nature and the world, with no regard for structures that will help you understand.

Serum, track 2, is too drenched in those moaning, cracking vocals and breaks up the single's flow, but Calling Out of Work provides the right 6 minutes to end on. Too ambient and meandering to capture the magic of the opener, it still melts time, still opens doors to fall backward through.

A great little collaboration, though that resonance through my current time and place may give it the inside track 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment