Thursday, March 13, 2014

#1166 Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food

I've always appreciated Talking Heads, even if I've never quite loved them the way I feel like I'm supposed to - this falls into about the same spot, full of funk-filled post-punk bristle and crack. Things are even dancier than usual, skipping along deftly, and The Big Country is a classic beauty, but the album somehow never quite takes off, its like watching that guy dancing at the wedding, and you know he could dance right well if he stopped thinking about it, but you can watch the self-consciousness in every pop. I'm Not in Love kind of throws the rest of the album under the bus: its so vibrant and noisy and exciting you ask "why can't the rest of the album be like this?" An exciting, frustrating listen 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment