Thursday, March 6, 2014

#1158 Black Sabbath - Vol. 4

What more can I say, Sabbath rules. I know pretty late to the party on this - I had this mistaken impression that Sabbath was all Paranoid and Iron Man, all dead-simple metal trudging.

But the variety of textures, tones, and moves on this and Master of Reality is stunning. Just listen to Supernaut, that incredible riff, the way the bottom drops out at 2:40 and builds back in as barely-there acoustic substrumming - impossible. This is all eternal wriggling out from under its own massive heaps of riffs. Here's so much about what I liked about bands from The Smashing Pumpkins to Boris, and I knew the line was that this was where it all started, but until you hear these two albums you won't understand how true it is - legendary-sized, near-perfect rock and roll 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment