Friday, May 24, 2013

#892 Depeche Mode - Violator

An undeniable masterpiece that's negative fun and that I have no interest in listening to ever again. The approach to synthesizers, guitar, texture, and tone is unprecedented, with a bristling, confident swagger, building a domineering atmosphere of sultry dread, lurking like liquid smoke between every note. The singles are striking, but the rest is fillerey and listless, and the overall feeling, even at its best, is of hanging out with a really cool friend who you just wish would cheer the fuck up, who you talk about with other friends saying "I want to be a good friend, but man, he just gives nothing to the conversation, its work hanging out with that motherfucker".

Violator's that friend, and I'll hang out with it now and then out of respect and nostalgia, but I'm not going to go out of my way to make plans any time soon 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment