Friday, April 12, 2013

#839 Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps

I fucking hate Neil Young's voice. Let's get that out of the way.

It's like oatmeal. Do I like oatmeal? No!

But you give me some oatmeal covered in blueberries and honey and brown sugar and some kind of whiskey glaze maybe if that's a thing and I'll be like, man! This oatmeal's amazing!

In this metaphor, the electric guitar and the electric bass, and the actual fire and energy of Young's most electric stuff, say Everybody Knows this is Nowhere stuff, is the blueberries et al.

So when the accoustic/electric-sided Rust Never Sleeps opens with 5 or so tracks of pure hum'n'strum'n'wail from Neil, just Neil yelling about this and that, it didn't, for me, start things off on the right foot. The saving grace is that the last few tracks pour on the toppings, and the vocals do a serviceable job of floating them into your ear-mouth where you can savor those savory accoutrements.

Let's just say that those last few tracks deliver some pretty choice guitar crunch, but I'll never listen to this album again except when I start it at track 6-plus, and that seems like a bad sign 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment