Tuesday, April 2, 2013

#828 Daft Punk - Human After All

Everything they say about this album is true: it's over-repetitive, over-minimal, and it sounds like what it is: hastily assembled. But there's a genius to it: why can't electronic music be rough and produced in a ramshackle, punk rock spirit? Even if the result sounds nothing like punk itself, isn't there something to be said about the idea that spontaneity, that over under-over-preciousness, still has a place in a world where the actual sound is produced with comparatively minimal actual human muscle?

Maybe I'm just too tickled by all of these douchey conceptual questions, or maybe I just have the benefit of hindsight with respect to an album that was eventually revealed, via killer live versions, to be secretly packed with bangers, or maybe I've been too recently weaned on even-more-minimal electro, or maybe I just generally have a high threshold for bands stripping themselves bare on an album*, but I kind of liked it 4/5

* examples that come to mind are Adore**, They Were Wrong so We Drowned, and The King of Limbs.

** even though I still kind of hate Adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment