Thursday, March 21, 2013

#808 Armin van Buuren - A State of Trance 2008

Word is this is a topnotch trance album.

What do I know about trance? Why am I even doing this?

Well, it goes on for 2 and a half hours, all the transitions are smooth, the mood changes imperceptibly, not a single moment is out of place, the DJ tricks flawlessly executed and unflashy, and most importantly I was exactly the right amount of distracted while working. Heck, I pretty much got exactly what I came for, and I suspect familiarity would help breed even greater appreciation. Sounds like a keeper to me.

The only downside is the ending, which seems abrupt and anticlimactic - strange for a set that has setting the right mood as its greatest strength. How do you drop the ball on that?? That's a surprisingly big knock in my book, but the preceding 140 minutes are pretty good, so I guess I'll give 'im a break 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment