Friday, October 5, 2012

#617 Sam Cooke - Sam Cooke (Weton-Wesgram, 2009)

Strange 3-disc Dutch compilation of Sam Cooke's stuff that I stumbled into somehow.

The first disc is the real Sam Cooke I came looking for, full of deep soul and mourning and love and hope. Cooke's voice is legitimately graceful, more full-bodied and powerful than many of his better-known contemporaries. This is downright listenable, if occasionally goofy, largely unadventurous stuff.

Then its two discs of Jesus Jesus Jesus. Cooke did love him some Jesus. It all sounds samey as hell, and I know its not the singer's fault that it was compiled this way, but its downright unbearable by the end.

I came for a taste of Sam Cooke and I got it. And then I got way too much more. It's like he invited me over to watch the game and then spent 4 more hours talking about the Lord. Gotta judge the whole album, and that's a full third of it. Sorry Sam, I'll try to find something else of yours and give you a fair shake 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment